Three Views of Evolution
Most Christian views of evolution fall into three broad categories. [I added the last two]
1. Creationism
a. A literal interpretation of Genesis with six 24 hour periods.
b. Young earth. The earth is not as old as what geologist say it is do to catastrophic events. (Mt. St. Helens is used as an example, i.e., multiple layers laid down in hours and days with a canyon forming quickly; tree bark sinking and making a future coal bed with trees and their stumps sinking at different rates and forming a petrified forest type scenario.
c. Evolution is seen as an attack against Scripture, and then the resurrection etc.
2. Progressive Creationism/Age-Day theory
a. Genesis 1 begins with God's perspective not man's, and so on a quantum level one day is like millions or billions of years.
b. A lot of time has occurred between Gen. 1:1 and 1:2.
c. Possibility for the earth to be destroyed a couple of times.
d. God has still created ex nihilo (out of nothing) but many years have passed.
3. Theistic evolution
a. God set things into motion and it has evolved on its own.
b. Genesis 1 and following is not a literal interpretation but theological.
4. Misinterpretation
a. Scholars have misinterpreted Genesis one as six days of creation, instead it should read that God told Adam how he created the world/universe in six days.
b. This is based upon ancient near eastern writers putting important information like address and owner, etc. at the end of the text rather than at the beginning like we do with letters.
5. Those who are somewhere in between/ or consider it an apple to oranges argument.
a. Genesis 1 is not talking about how God did it, but the why -- God did it because he is a creator, because he loves us.
b. We, too, create things just like God.
c. It is a way for humans to understand that God was the source of life.
Those are roughly how Christians would view evolution. I say roughly because you could probably add many more perspectives.
The number one thing Christians would take issue (I'm stabbing in the dark here) with is that evolution removes uniqueness. If we all have a common origin:
a. there is no God
b. there is no purpose to life
c. people are animals
d. people have no hope
e. there is no one true morality
f. there is no afterlife
g. it is the world's worst joke, for everything has no meaning
Due to space and time, I'll explore further the questions asked by Anonymous. But this would be a brief (very brief) Christian take on evolution.

4 Comments:
Dude! You left out the Giant Twinkie Theory! What are you thinking?
Creationism and evolution seem to be mutually exclusive. The idea that the earth may not be as
old as previously believed may be backed up (in theory) by the mentioned examples but other
scientific evidence counters this... carbon-dating anyone? Also, it does not explain the fossil record, meaning why are some species found in rock layers believed to exist in certain time
periods. Also, why are human fossils only found in the most recent layers? If the creationist
theory is true, all species should be distributed equally in all layers. I like the fact that this is an attempt to explain creation / god’s existence based on observation and theory, but many things are left unexplained. I guess this is the religious interpretation of creation I am most biased against.
In my opinion, Progressive Creationism seems to be grasping at strays. If we don’t like what the bible says, let’s just interpret it another way. With such tactics, nothing the bible says could ever be considered wrong.
Theistic evolution does not contradict science in the least. In my understanding, this is simply
saying that god had a guiding hand in evolution (as is believed he has in our everyday lives ect).
In no way can science disprove (or even discredit) this theory. I have actually presented this
theory myself to others of both Christian and athiest-evolutionist viewpoints with no knowledge
that it was an “accepted” theory. However, I was met with conflict in all situations.
I do not understand what you mean by Misinterpretation. Care to elaborate?
You say that evolution says there is no god. This is not true. Evolution simply indicates that all
organisms came from a common “source.” It implies that the origin of man is not god... directly that is, theistic evolution remains a possibility. And people are animals, in that we are mammals belonging to the kingdom animalia (animals). I actually take great offence to your comment that evolution indicates that everything has no meaning. To say such a thing shows how little you truly understand evolution. The principle behind evolution is survival of the fittest. In other
words, the purpose is to survive and propagate. Also, you say that without god people have no
hope. What’s wrong with solely existing in the world in which we live? Why can we not hope
for things in this life... constantly living for improvement?
Your question of morality is also directly from a religious standpoint. You are arguing similar to Descarte in that without god there is no good or evil. Perhaps you should read Neitzche’s “Beyond Good and Evil.” An evolutionist would argue that an individual would do what is in the best interest of the individual. Interestingly, the same “rules” set by religion (thou shalt not kill, steal, ect) are also in the best interest of all individuals. Sharing food in times of plenty would give others a reason to share with you when your food supply is low... killing may result in more killing. I know I’m going off on a tangent here, but this indicates to me that these rules would have arisen with or without the existence of god... making me question their devine origin.
My appologies, I meant to include this in my previous post. You indicate that a disbelief in god leads to a loss of hope/morality ect. Presumably this would create a more difficult / depressed society in which to exist. Actually, I'll buy into this. However, instead of supporting the existance of god, I will argue that this actually discredits his existance. Let me elaborate. If something makes the world in which we live easier to tolerate, it is easier to believe. In other words, we believe because we WANT to believe... it makes our lives better! However, this does not mean that our beliefs are truth. If giving up on the existance of god means losing all hope and morality, many individuals would be unwilling to do it. Ever watch the movie "The Matrix"? It's easier to live in our cozy created reality than to accept the truth. On a side note, I liked how that movie used Descartes ideas. Living in a bubble based on blind faith is easier than facing the cold harsh reality of what MAY be our true existance. We have evidence behind this harsh reality but absolutely no evidence behind any religion (other than anecdotal evidence laden with inconsistencies and scientific impossabilities passed on in a book written by man). Still, the majority of individuals still choose to follow one religion or another... perhaps as a coping mechanism?
Perhaps you should do a google search about the "flying spagetti monster" as an emerging new religion... okay, it's a spoof... but it has all the elements than current religions have. Furthermore, it explains how this diety exists (and its actions) in accordance with current scientific theories.
Wow, thats a lot of reading mr sceptic who thinks he knows everything. Your big brain is definately a stumbling block to you. Im pretty sure this is an old post, but I wanted to comment anyway,in case someone does read this. See, I actulally believe in God, but I dont think that it helps me cope with life.In fact in many ways, I htink that my life may have been easier at times if I didnt believe. I think that taking the matrix pill is actually more compareable to those people who want to just see the world around them for what it is,and ignore the very real forces of good and evil which surrounds us. See, if I didnt believe in Jesus,I could be the master of my own life, do as I please when I want. I could eat and drink the cup of pleasure, and never eat of the true bread of life. Whether or not you believe in Jesus is your choice, but he was real. He did die, and contrary to all your evidence, he did break all natural laws and rise again. Im not trying to convince anyone of anything. All I know is that God is real, and Jesus is the King. And tonight prayers will be spoken to the throne for anonymous.
Post a Comment
<< Home